I spent 5-8pm in Starbucks doing the following:
- Signed up for a new AWS account (–> 12 months of free select services in addition to the Basic tier plan).
- Spawned a (free) t2.micro EC2 instance, installed WordPress by Bitnami from AWS Marketplace, and setup an elastic IP for the EC2 instance (see ref).
- Bought a domain from Google and added records to direct the domain to the elastic IP.
- Inside the WordPress software: installed new themes, figured out how to edit different aspects of the theme (new concepts include “sliders”), and figured out how to post ‘Pages’ vs ‘Posts’.
- Generate SSH keys so I can access the EC2 instance directly. Then follow these steps to remove the pesky “manage” logo thing.
- Easy-to-follow AWS tutorial for setting up WordPress